It’s our favorite time of the year O C T O B E R (Our Founder’s Birthday Month)
1. It’s pink October across Houston and throughout the nation as it’s time to commemorate breast cancer awareness month. In celebration of survivors organize a day to volunteer at the Rose or with the Sisters Network to show your support for a cause that can affect your family and friends.
2. Organizations like AVDA in Houston advocate for the safety of victims of domestic violence especially during the month of October which also serves as Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Make an impact this month by donating or volunteering with AVDA. Visit www.avda-tx.org for opportunities to get involved.
3. The 14th annual Autism Speaks Walk takes place on October 20th at Lynn Eusan Park to raise awareness and funds for people living with autism. The commitment from members of the community each year help to contribute support from providers for patient and family education, therapy and treatment. Join a team or start your own to help the organization reach it’s fundraising goal of $350,000. Register your team
4.As part of Houston History Alliance’s biennial conference, Houston Women: Agitating, Educating, Advocating, Girls Inc. of Greater Houston and The Ensemble Theatre have partnered for Growing Up Girl: Houston, Then & Now on October 9th 6-8pm to celebrate and honor the legacy of some of Houston’s most prolific women. The panel will feature women and girls who have left their mark on the city throughout the years. Ticket info here
5.Going for the Gold- In anticipation of reaching a milestone of 50 years of serving the Houston community the S.H.A.P.E. Community Center presents 49 Years Going for the Gold on October 20th. The celebration will feature live entertainment, photo booth fun, vendors and more. A donation of $4.90 is requested in honor of the 49th anniversary promoting and embracing the African-American culture. Tickets
6. Trick or Treat- It’s that time of year for spooky costumes, scary movies and yes- candy corn. Hosting a costume party? Why not turn it into a fundraiser to benefit your favorite local charity.
7. Rock the Vote-While October 9th is the official deadline for voter registration. Channel your inner political advocate and campaign for a candidate in your neighborhood, host a fundraiser or simply empower friends and family to vote with a themed party in anticipation of the upcoming general election on November 6th.